ETHNOGRAPHIC FILMMAKING, TRAINING AND MEMORY
Free professional training supported by Regione Lazio and curated by AntropicA.
Who the course is aimed to:
To 10 young people between the ages of 20 and 35. The course is intended for university students, unemployed youth or NEETs, but is open to anyone who wants to learn in a few months the techniques of documentary filmmaking, those who have a story to tell and do not know how to do it, those who would like to experiment with filmmaking and do not know where to start.
10 students will be selected – initially on the basis of motivational letter and CV, then on the basis of the outcome of the interview – who will be the learners of the theoretical part of the course and will later be divided into the various technical/artistic skills necessary for audiovisual production. Each student will have the opportunity to experience the different professions of documentary filmmaking so as to choose an area in which to specialize.
The course is free, since it is the winning project of the VitaminaG call for proposals under the GenerAzioniGiovani.it program, funded by the Youth Policies of Regione Lazio with the support of the Department for Youth.
To the course will last 4 months, from February to July, punctuated by a weekly meeting. In addition, the beneficiaries will have the privilege of attending the MedFilm Festival – XXVII edition, with a personal pass thanks to which they will have access to the screenings and Masterclasses.
How the course will be structured:
The course will be divided into a theoretical part and a practical one.
The theoretical part will be organized according to the following schedule:
- Use and preservation of audiovisual archives;
- Elements of research and ideation of films and documentaries;
- Elements of film writing; creative writing techniques and storytelling; audiovisual storytelling;
- Elements of audiovisual production, including: perusal of scripts, working plan, agenda, fundamentals of budget and financial plan design;
- Elements of photography; use of stage lighting; technical concepts for professional camera use in documentary filmmaking;
- Elements of live sound: use of audio recording equipment; audio post-production.
Practice of editing techniques, with collective hands-on learning of editing;
- Practice of editing techniques, with collective hands-on learning of editing;
- Elements of color correction and finalization of audiovisual product.
The practical part will consist of a 52-hour internship, during which a documentary film with an ethnographic theme will be made, which will be structured as follows:
- Research and choice of documentary film subject; research under the supervision of the educational coordinator; creative writing and storytelling.
- Realization of a working plan;
- Realization of video footage;
- Editing of the audiovisual product;
- Post-production, color correction and finalization of the audiovisual product.
At the end of the project, participants will be offered the opportunity to enjoy the film screenings and Masterclasses that are the subject of the MedFilm festival, at which the documentary will be premiered.
The course will take place at the Nelson Mandela Library on Via La Spezia 21, a stone’s throw from Metro A and C, San Giovanni stop.
The internship will take place throughout the East Rome quadrant–where the heart will take us.