ETNOGRAPHIC FILMMAKING – II EDITION 2023
Free professional training supported by Regione Lazio and organized by AntropicA.
Who the course is aimed at:
to 10 young people aged between 20 and 35. The course is intended for university students, unemployed young people or NEETs, but is open to anyone who wants to learn documentary filmmaking techniques in a few months, anyone who has a story to tell and does not know how to do it, anyone who would like to experiment with filmmaking and does not know where to start.
10 students will be selected – initially on the basis of their motivational letter and CV, that you have to send to firstname.lastname@example.org within the 12th of February (applications without the required documentation will not be considered) then according to the outcome of the interview – who will be the auditors for the theoretical part of the course and will subsequently be divided into the various technical/artistic skills required for audiovisual production. Each student will have the opportunity to experience the different professions of documentary filmmaking, so as to choose a sector in which to specialize.
the course is free, as the winning project of VitaminaG, within the GenerAzioniGiovani.it programme financed by Politiche Giovanili della Regione Lazio with the support of Dipartimento per la Gioventù.
The course will last eight months, from March to October, with one meeting per week. In addition, beneficiaries will have the privilege of attending the MedFilm Festival – XXIX edition, with a personal pass thanks to which they will have access to screenings and Masterclasses.
How the course will be structured:
The course will have a theoretical and a practical part.
The theoretical part will be organised in the following modules, totalling 56 hours:
- Use and preservation of audiovisual archives.
- Elements of research and conception of films and documentaries.
- Elements of film writing: creative writing techniques and storytelling; audiovisual narration.
- Elements of audiovisual production, including: script drafting, working plan, agenda, fundamentals of budgeting and financial plan.
- Elements of photography; use of stage lighting; technical notions for the professional use of the video camera in documentary cinema.
- Elements of live sound: use of audio recording equipment; audio post-production.
- Practice of editing techniques, with collective practical learning of editing.
The practical part will consist of an 80-hour internship, during which the pitch for the ethnographic documentary project will be realised:
- Research and choice of subject for the documentary film; research under the supervision of the educational coordinator; creative writing and storytelling.
- Realisation of a working plan.
- Realisation of video footage.
- Editing of the audiovisual product.
- Post-production, colour correction and finalisation of the audiovisual product.
- Pitch training for the presentation of the project.
At the end of the project, participants will be offered the opportunity to enjoy film screenings and Masterclasses at the MedFilm Festival, where the pitch will be presented.
The course will take place at the Nelson Mandela Library in Via La Spezia 21, a stone’s throw from metro A and C, San Giovanni stop.
The workshop will take place throughout the eastern Rome quadrant… where the heart will take us.